A seasoned performing artist, Wendy is now specializing in songwriting, original custom soundtracks, and other collaborations including studio work.
June 2022 highlights:
Wendy's soundtrack "Driving in C minor" has been incorporated as the introductory music for a selection of Bob Stein's "Driving the Mississippi Delta" videos! See his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/bstein69/videos
The University of Mississippi in Oxford has, for a second year, engaged Wendy to introduce grade school children to slide guitar using the theme of "Time Travel." The program is Rebel Quest summer day camp.
On June 21 at 11:00 AM, The Emily J. Pointer Public Library in Como Mississippi hosted Wendy to present "The Legend of Robert Johnson at the Crossroads" along with Dr. Rebecca Jernigan. The performance was funded in part by the Mississippi Humanities Council. http://mshumanities.org/presentation/robert-johnson-at-the-crossroads/
On June 3, Wendy headed to a one-day guitar workshop in the Mississippi Hill Country to experiment with different tunings and rhythms.
Coming up: July 2022
Wendy's love of music and nature will once again come together. She has studio time set up to contribute slide guitar to Kansas musician Sally Vee's original songs on the upcoming Chakchiuma Swamp album. Read about the project here.
To further expand her songwriting skills, Wendy is excited she'll be heading to Andrea Stolpe's Nashville "Writer to Writer" five day songwriting retreat
On labor day weekend, Saturday September 3, 2022, Wendy is thrilled to have been inivited to take part at RL Boyce's Hill Country Blues Workshop in Como Mississippi. The workshop is part of " a three day weekend event celebrating the mythic career of living Hill Country Blues King RL BOYCE."
The following day, September 4, Wendy will be playing a half-hour solo set at the Como Community Park on West Street. A free event.
The Oxford Blues Festival has invited Wendy to perform. Look for her on Friday June 7, 7:30 to 8:00 PM with special guests Shaundi Wall and Andrea Staten. https://oxfordbluesfest.com/
October 27 & 28 Wendy is tentatively scheduled to play some spooky music at the Lee Tart Nature Preserve in Chakchiuma Swamp, Grenada, Mississippi!
Recent past highlights:
1. Wendy is featured in the Fall 2021 Issue of Mississippi Folklife: Performances and the Pandemic. http://www.mississippifolklife.org/
2. Wendy released "Partaking" a CD of her original instrumental slide guitar soundtracks. Plus one track with guest appearance by Memphis' Grace Askew.
3. In May 2021 the National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association https://dysphonia.org/ contacted Wendy about writing a song for the organization. Wendy and her songwriting coach Grace Askew cowrote the song "I have a Voice" which Grace live streamed. With Wendy on slide guitar, the song is now featured on NSDA social media https://dysphonia.org/i-have-a-voice/
4. Wendy's soundtrack "Partaking" used by the conservation organization Grand Prairie Friends in Illinois. https://fb.watch/3j2wJPo5z4/
5. The Walter Anderson Museum of Art in Ocean Springs incorporated Wendy's soundtrack "Horn Island" into one of it's online videos. The soundtrack begins about 7 minutes into this fascinating piece on Mississippi Gulf Coast foodways. https://fb.watch/2vlCWZb8YJ/
6. Wendy's custom instrumental slide guitar work provides a musical response to watercolors of artist and friend Robin Whitfield. Watch and listen on Robin's Facebook page:
7. Wendy created a backing soundtrack for a piece aired at the 2020 Tennessee Williams festival in Clarksdale with Oxford's Alice Walker in the role of Blanche.
8. Her first original instrumental slide guitar theme song was produced in May 2020, for Hill Country TV Network New Albany Mississippi for an ongoing segment featuring farming, gardening and the outdoors "Talking Tomatoes." hosted by Evelyn Mason
Photo credit: Lindsay Pace